What is telepsychiatry
The Tele-psychiatry Program is funded by the Ministry of Community and Social Services, to provide psychiatric assistance such as: consultation, diagnosis and treatment for children. There are no costs to families or agencies for this service. The telepsychiatry program uses video conferencing to link professionals at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. Tho Program is a resource for children who exhibit emotional or behavioural problems that families and communities are unable to effectively deal with.
Limitations of the Program:
- If prescriptions are required; the Psychiatrist will recommend but not prescribe. Therefore, it is recommended that the child's family doctor be made aware of the referral.
- Cannot be used for custody, access parenting capacity or any court assessments.
- A referral is completed and given to the site coordinator.
- The site coordinator will ensure the necessary documentation is included and forward the referral to the Project Manager at the hub site in Toronto.
- The Project Manager will review the request for consultation and an appointment will be scheduled.
- A verbal report will be given at the end of the video consultation.
- A report will be completed by the consultation psychiatrist within 10 days and forwarded to the site coordinator.
- The site coordinator will forward the request to the professional who requested the consultation.